Skip to main content

Education and Training

The end of military service marks the start of something new. With VA benefits, get educated and trained for just about any career you can imagine.

Overview of VA Education Benefits

How to Apply

  • Apply Online

    The fastest and easiest way to get access to your benefits is to apply using your computer or mobile device.

  • Apply In Person

    Visit the nearest VA benefits office.

  • Apply at School

    Consult with your School Certifying Official, who can help you apply.

  • Apply By Mail

    Call 888-442-4551 to have the application mailed to you.

VA can help you cover the cost of furthering your education and skills through benefits for tuition, housing, training, and other expenses related to your education. VA’s education and training benefits are provided through these GI Bill® programs:

VA education benefits may be used toward traditional degrees, non-college degrees, on-the-job training, apprenticeships, licensing and certification and fees to cover tests.

VA also provides assistance to help Veterans transition from military service to civilian employment. Service-disabled Veterans may be eligible for one-on-one support, counseling, and training to boost skills and build careers. Explore VA employment services for details.

Train for a Career in a High-Demand Job or in the High-Tech Industry

  • Veteran Rapid Retraining Program (VRRAP)
    Offers education and training for high-demand jobs to Veterans who are unemployed due to the COVID-19 pandemic and have no education and Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E) benefits. VRRAP ends December 11, 2022.
  • Veteran Employment Through Technology Courses (VET TEC)
    VET TEC pairs eligible Veterans with market-leading Training Providers offering sought after high-tech training and skills development. If you have at least one day of unexpired GI Bill entitlement, you may be eligible for VET TEC.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. See our terms of use.

VA Requirements

  • Copies of your discharge or separation papers (DD-214 or equivalent)
  • Documentation of an enlistment incentive or College Fund, sometimes called a “kicker” (note: this is not required to apply for the GI Bill)
  • To qualify for a monthly housing allowance, you must attend school more than half time (e.g., seven out of 12 credit hours per term) and not currently be on active duty in the service

VA Application Process

The application process for Veterans seeking to use their education and training benefits varies for different types of applicants. Before you apply, use the chart on this page to determine the right benefit for you. Be sure to use the GI Bill Comparison Tool to research schools and employers based on affordability and value under the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

You can be eligible for more than one benefit, but in most cases you must choose which benefit to receive. This decision is final and cannot be changed. See our frequently asked questions describing the process.
Once you identify the right VA benefit for your needs, it takes about 30 minutes to apply online.

  • Plan ahead and apply early because VA education benefits can take a few weeks to process.
  • Depending on where you live, your application is routed to one of two specialized Regional Processing Offices (RPOs) in Buffalo, New York or Muskogee, Oklahoma.


Some benefits may also be used by active service members, reservists, and National Guard members as well as eligible spouses, children, and survivors of Veterans and service members. Consult the VA benefits booklet or visit the nearest VA regional office for character of discharge requirements and more detailed information.

Page last updated on August 9, 2022


An official website of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs

Looking for U.S. government information and services?